Mouth Cancer Checks
Appledore were one of the very first dental practices in the UK to purchase this virtually life saving machine.
Our patients can rest easy in the knowledge that the VELscope used in combination with traditional oral cancer examination procedures ensures the early discovery of abnormalities that could possible lead to oral cancer.
The VELscope’s blue light stimulates the natural fluorescence in the soft tissues allowing dental professionals to see disease sometimes not visible to the naked eye and discover disease at its most curable stage.
The early stages of mouth cancer can often be quite painless, so Appledore have put together a guide to some of the early indicators
- Red and/or white discoloration of the soft tissues of the mouth
- Any soreness which does not heal within 14 days
- Hoarseness which lasts for a prolonged period of time
More Advanced Indicators Could Be
- A sensation that something is stuck in your throat
- Numbness in the oral region
- Difficulty in moving the jaw or tongue
- Difficulty in swallowing
- A sore under a denture that, even after denture adjustment, still does not heal
- A lump or thickening which develops in the mouth or on the neck
When found early, the mouth cancer five-year survival rate is much better, at more than 80%. On the other hand when found late unfortunately the mouth cancer five-year survival rate is much lower at around 30%.
The Main Risk Factors For Mouth Cancer Include:
- Excessive Alcohol Consumption
- Low Intake Of Fruit And Vegetables
- Excessive Exposure To The Sun
- Human Papiloma Virus (Hpv)
Want to be checked out? Give us a call today!